Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff
This Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff cooked in white wine is a variation of the popular Russian Beef Stroganoff
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 pound pasta (fussili, penne, or fetuccine)
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small onion, in thin moonshape slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced I used pre-chopped garlic
- 1 pound mushrooms (cremini, shitake, or chanterelle) any meaty mushroom
- 1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3-1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 sprigs sprigs of fresh parsley (or 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley) may substitute with thyme
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar may substitute with worchestershire sauce
- Sea salt and cracked pepper according to taste
Boil egg noodles in salted water according to package instructions. When done, drain and set aside.
While the noodles are cooking, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add onions and sautée for 5 minutes.
Add garlic and mushrooms along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir to mix.
Continue sautéeing for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked, browned and tender.
Add the white wine and let the sauce simmer for 3 minutes.
In a separate bowl, Mix the vegetable stock, flour and whisk til smooth.
Pour the vegetable stock mixture slowly into the pan, and stir to combine.
Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
The very last step, stir in the sour cream evenly into the sauce.
Taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper as needed.
Pour sauce immediately over the egg noodles, garnish with your desired toppings.